Talking to Vec about books reminded me that I have like. A file somewhere with a bunch of notes about how to re-write David Eddings’ Belgariad and Malloreon books so that everything was 1) significantly more queer, 2) significantly less gross-colonialist-exotifying bullshit, 3) made way more sense in terms of plot.
And now I’m thinking about Xe’Nedra, the non-binary Prinxex of the Dryads, and how xe and xyr wife Belgarion dismantle the monarchy that she was supposed to inherit, and sighing dreamily.
I got tagged by optimisticduelist !
In a text post, list ten books that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” or “great” works, just the ones that have touched you. Tag some friends and make sure you let your friends know you’ve tagged them.
Here are mine, in no particular order:
1. N.P. by Banana Yoshimoto
2. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
3. Chorus of Mushrooms by Hiromi Goto
4. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
5. Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes by Tony Kushner
6. Her Sister’s Eye by Vivienne Cleven
7. The Lesbian Body by Monique Wittig
8. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
9. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
10. Belonging by bell hooks
- share all the material you can; share this article on how to make a tear gas mask or this post on the rundown of the situation in ferguson or this livestream link to the peaceful protests in ferguson
- don’t you DARE make this about yourself or how you hate when people blame “all white people” for “the actions of a few corrupt cops”
- this is not about you THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU DO YOU HEAR ME THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE
- do you fucking understand me share all the shit you can to make noise about what’s going on but THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME TO GIVE SOME LENGTHY OPINION ABOUT HOW YOU HATE COPS WHEN YOUR LIFE IS NOT LITERALLY THREATENED BY OUR RACIST CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM EVERY DAY. THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME TO “SYMPATHIZE” WITH BLACK POCS ON HOW YOU LOVE TO JUST SAY “FUCK THE POLICE” TOO. THIS IS NOT SOME CUTE TREND.
- THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH AND THIS IS ABOUT ANTI BLACK RACISM AND IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU. DO NOT SPEAK OVER ANYONE.